Wings USA, Inc., a flight services company based in Janesville, Wisconsin, contracted with TLG Aerospace, LLC to analyze a proposed modification to light aircraft. The twin-engine aircraft is to be modified to include a large circular cutout in the floor adjacent to the aircraft door. TLG was asked to analyze the aircraft before and after the modification to determine whether or not the modification would have a significant impact on the fuselage stiffness. TLG engineers generated the pre- and post-modification geometry in CATIA V5. To accommodate the cutout, a section of the longitudinal beam at the center of the floor of the fuselage was removed in addition to a section of skin at the lower outer mold line (OML).
If you have the MSC Apex Free Trial today, you are welcome to take this meshing challenge.
This model, download it here, has an embedded text message.
The first 5 individuals to find and email me the embedded text message wins. My email is at the bottom of the post. Please put the embedded text message in the Subject line when emailing me.
Note that decoy messages are also present in the model, directions to find the correct embedded message is given below.
Here is how you find the message.
- Solid mesh the magenta/purple solid. Use the default mesh settings, e.g. mesh size of 10mm, Element Type = Quadratic, etc.
- Change the Geometry Render Styles to Wireframe. See image below.
- Review the mesh quality by clicking the Element Quality icon. See image below.
- Ensure 3D is selected under Element Types.
- Search the model for a region with a concentration of red elements. You may also see purple elements.
- Zoom into this region of red elements. Hide the solid elements by clicking on the 3D icon.
- The message should be visible at this point.
- Email me the message. My contact info is at the end of the post.
What do you win?
The first to win will receive:
- A certificate of recognition from MSC Software
- A special mention on this page along with their name and company name
- e.g. Christian Aparicio, MSC Software
My contact info
I am glad to announce that the winner of this challenge is Gokulan Udayakumar, CAE Exhaust Engineer at Ford Motor Company Ltd. Congrats to Gokulan and everyone at Ford.